Now that facebook supports XMPP protocol for its chat, any messenger which supports XMPP would be able to use facebook chat without much effort.
Follow these steps to add your facebook chat to pidgin:
- Start the pidgin and press Ctrl+A to bring the Accounts dialog box.
- Click on Add.
- Select XMPP as protocol from the drop-down menu.
- Type in your username or your alias (the name you chose to to keep in url for your profile).
- In ‘Domain’, type chat.facebook.com
- In ‘Password’, type your facebook password.
- Click on Advanced Tab, and uncheck ‘Require SSL/TLS’.
- In ‘Connect Port’ type 5222.
- In ‘Connect server’, type chat.facebook.com
- Finally, click on Add.
This will add your facebook chat to pidgin.